People who work full time should not live in poverty. Every person in Illinois who can work should be given the tools and opportunities needed to find gainful employment. This goal cannot exclude those recently released from prison, disconnected youth and anyone with limited or no job history.
Our Employment and Economic Security Priorities:
Create skill-building opportunities and increase access to work:
- Transitional Jobs programs
- Protections for workers with a criminal record
- Contextualized adult education and vocational training
Increase wages and improve benefits:
- Increase the minimum wage. Heartland Alliance is a member of Raise Illinois, the statewide coalition working to raise the minimum wage. Please visit www.raiseillinois.com for more information.
- Ensure rights for domestic workers. Heartland Alliance is a member of the Illinois Domestic Workers Coalition, the statewide coalition working to pass a Domestic Workers’ Bill of Rights in Illinois. Please visit www.respectallwork.org for more information.
- Establish paid sick days
- Expand the Earned Income Tax Credit
Watch and share the videos below, part of a new series – “Behind Closed Doors: The Faces of Domestic Work in Illinois” – we’ve produced in collaboration with the Illinois Domestic Workers Coalition to tell the stories of domestic workers in Illinois.