Kovler Center Staff in the News and Publications!
- The Healing Impact – Heartland Alliance Marjorie Kovler Center’s Services for Survivors of Politically-Sanctioned Torture (2016)
- Primary Care of Refugee Women, by Mary Tornabene, APN, CNP, Family Nurse Practitioner at Heartland Health Outreach and Marjorie Kovler Center, NEJM Journal Watch, April 4, 2017.
- Journal on Rehabilitation of Torture Victims and Prevention of Torture features article co-authored by former Kovler Center Associate Director, Mary Bunn, MA, LCSW – Group treatment for survivors of torture and severe violence: A literature review.
- Kovler Center contributed to the paper – Descriptive, inferential, functional outcome data on 9,025 torture survivors in the United States, published in TORTURE Journal.
- Journal on Women’s Health features article co-written by former Senior Director Mary Fabri, PsyD – Improvement in Posttraumatic Stress Disorder in Postconflict Rwandan Women (2011)
- Journal on Rehabilitation of Torture Victims and Prevention of Torture features article by former Senior Director Mary Fabri, PsyD – Best, promising and emerging practices in the treatment of trauma: What can we apply in our work with torture survivors? (2011)
- From kites to kitchens: collaborative community-based occupational therapy with refugee survivors of torture by Mary Black, MS, OCR, L, Occupational Therapist, published in Occupational Therapies Without Borders: Volume 2 (2011)
- Prevalence and Predictors of Posttraumatic Stress Disorder and Depression in HIV-Infected and At-Risk Rwandan Women by Mardge H. Cohen, MD, former Senior Director Mary Fabri, PsyD, et al. (2009)
- Caring for Torture Survivors: The Marjorie Kovler Center, by Kovler Center staff Mary Fabri, Marianne Joyce, Mary Black, and Mario Gonzalez in The New Humanitarians, Edited by Chris E. Stout, PsyD, Copyright © (2009) by Praeger, Westport, Connecticut, London. Reproduced with permission of ABC-CLIO, LLC.
- Cultural Adaptation and Translation of Assessment Instruments for Diverse Populations: The Use of the Harvard Trauma Questionnaire in Rwanda by former Senior Director Mary Fabri, PsyD, in Handbook of Multicultural Assessment: Clinical, Psychological, and Educational Applications, 3rd Edition (2008)
- Purchase this book »
- Reconstructing Safety: Adjustments to the Therapeutic Frame in the Treatment of Survivors of Political Torture by former Senior Director Mary Fabri, PsyD (2001)
- Refugee Survivors of Torture: Trauma and Treatment by Psychologist William Gorman, PhD (2001)
- Guatemala Journey in Massage Therapy Journal by Kovler Center volunteer massage therapist Andrea Gundersen (1994)
- The dilemma of revictimization by former Kovler Center Coordinator Antonio Martinez, PhD and former Senior Director Mary Fabri, PsyD (1992)
- Americans need to take a stand and condemn torture in Wednesday Journal (April 16, 2008) by Senior Director Mary Lynn Everson
- Interpreting the Silences in Chicago Tribune (March 4, 2007) by volunteer French interpreter Judith Weinstein
- For Torture Survivors, Kovler Center Offers Place of Peace, by Sarah Conway. Chicago Magazine, May 15, 2017.
- Make sure to read Through a Healing Lens: The Marjorie Kovler Center Quilts, published in the Autumn 2012 issue of Wheaton College Alumni Magazine
- Hektoen International featured Heartland Alliance Marjorie Kovler Center regarding a collaborative photography project with Wheaton College and art installation by survivor and activist Dr. Irene Martinez.
- Charitable Hearts and Hands in massage & bodywork (March/April 2009) featuring volunteer massage therapist Marion Morgan.
- Caring for Victims of Torture in Nursing Spectrum (January 28, 2008) featuring family nurse practitioner Mary Tornabene.
- WBEZ’s Worldview interview with M. Zaher Sahloul, Senior Advisor, Syrian American Medical Society (SAMS), who has led 14 medical missions into Aleppo and built up SAMS to the point where they treated 2.6 million Syrians in 2015.
- WBEZ’s Worldview interview with Kirk W. Johnson, the founder of The List Project. Kirk talks about the Iraqis who helped the US still under threat. May 13, 2014 Chicago Public Radio
- Listen to the interview with Heartland Alliance Marjorie Kovler Center’s Marianne Joyce on WBEZ’s Worldview As part of a weeklong focus on trauma, Marianne talks about how women are affected by torture and the process of healing. September 7, 2012 Chicago Public Radio
- Listen to Dan Weissman’s story on NPR Latino USA as broadcast on August 17, 2012! SURVIVING TORTURE: THE SUPER MARIOS STORY.
- WBEZ’s Worldview interview with former Senior Director Dr. Mary Fabri and filmmakers of the documentary Beneath the Blindfold, Ines Sommer and Kathy Berger March 11, 2011 Chicago Public Radio
- Psychological Trauma in Iraqi Kurdistan June 4, 2008 Chicago Public Radio
- Global Activism: Congolese Torture Survivor Aids His Village April 20, 2006 Chicago Public Radio
- Global Activism: Sex, Honor, and Shame: Recovering From Trauma—From Chicago to Rwanda March 9, 2006 Chicago Public Radio
- Heartland Alliance Marjorie Kovler Video – August 21, 2013
- Heartland Alliance Marjorie Kovler Center 24th Annual Premier Cares Award Finalist video
- A Speciality in Recovery from Torture Heartland Alliance News Winter 2011 – Former Associate Director and licensed clinical social worker Mary Bunn discusses healing from the trauma of torture.
- Andrea » – Torture survivor speaks about her experience after her husband was kidnapped in 1984 by Guatemalan soldiers.
The emphasis throughout Heartland Alliance’s programs is on serving and creating opportunities for people who have no other place to go, those whose circumstances leave them beyond the reach of typical social service programs. With services designed to be comprehensive, respectful, and effective, Heartland Alliance provides a chance for a safer and better life for people for whom society has no other answers.