At Heartland Health Outreach, volunteers are critical to our ability to serve our participants. They do everything from serve nutritious food at our grocery centers to assist with mailings and special events.
More than 375 volunteers make a difference in the lives of our participants each year. We always welcome new faces ready to share their talents and experience to support our mission.
Our volunteers serve at six of our locations in the city and Elk Grove Village. Chicago locations are all accessible by public transportation (CTA). Most volunteering occurs during weekday business hours, but some opportunities exist on week nights and weekends.
We value your time, commitment, and skills, and we strive to place prospective volunteers in positions matching their backgrounds, schedules and interests, as well as the needs of our programs. Current volunteer opportunities include:
- Grocery Center Assistance: We always need volunteer shoppers and stockers at our Vital Bridges grocery center locations. Volunteers can shop for groceries, bag them for participants, unload delivery trucks and re-stock the shelves.
- Delivery Assistance: Delivery volunteers help us get the food where it needs to go. Volunteers can deliver food boxes and meals to homebound participants or work with our delivery driver to pick up and drop off food at various locations.
- Warehouse Assistance: Our Elk Grove Village warehouse stores food and personal care items for our grocery centers. Warehouse volunteers count inventory, sort food and pack shipments to program sites.
- Administrative: Administrative volunteers assist our staff by answering phones and providing front desk reception at program locations. Volunteers also help with mailings, projects and clerical work on an as-needed basis.
- Special Events: We use volunteer assistance at all of our community events, large scale fundraisers and food drives. Special event volunteers support fundraising, outreach and event management.
- Professional Services: We are able to supplement our workforce and carry out special initiatives by drawing on the experience of professional volunteers. We can always use help with health education, marketing, graphic design, technology and more.
- Group Service Days: We rely on groups for special projects and service days. Past projects have included packing food for distribution at our warehouse, planting gardens at our housing facilities, remodeling common areas in our health centers, holding food and personal care drives, sponsoring fundraisers and leading education sessions. Activity assignments are based on group size and the time a group can commit to a project.
- Junior Networking Committee: Comprised of young professionals aged 22-35, the JNC supports HHO through fundraising events and volunteering. We’re looking for people from different professional backgrounds to join this dynamic group.
Please contact our Volunteer Coordinator at 773-271-5140 with questions about these and other volunteer opportunities.
If you would like to volunteer at HHO, please complete the Volunteer Application. Our volunteer coordinator will be in touch within a week about possible opportunities.